With so many box mods on the market, it is often difficult to decide what to buy. Three months into the New Year we have already seen a flurry of new devices coming out. Some devices are excellent while some only seem to act as a functional piece of hardware. Users can follow the hype train to make decisions but often they miss out. Many great manufacturers have released products this year that deserve attention. In this article, we focus on the top 5 (in our opinion) best vape mods of 2018. Some devices on this list may have released late 2017 but were not noticed.
My list of top 5 best vape mods includes:
- Size: 89 x 53 x 31mm
- Material: Zinc Alloy
- Battery: Dual 18650 cells (NOT included)
- Wattage Range: 1 – 220W
- Output Modes: VW(H/N/S), CCW, CCT, VT(NI,TI,SS), TCR(M1,M2), BYPASS
- Resistance Range: 0.05-5.0ohm
- Temperature Range: 100-315°C/200-600°F (TC modes)
- Maximum Charging Current: 2.5A
- Screen: 0.96-inch color screen
- Thread: Spring-loaded 510
Vaporesso Switcher comes first in this best vape mods list. Vaporesso is a well-respected brand among the vaping community. They have seen success over the years with their Tarot series of mods and recently the Revenger series. Vaporesso announced late last year the soon to be released “Transformer”. The name was later changed to the Vaporesso Switcher.
Much larger in size than the Revenger mod, the switcher is in a class of it’s own. Boasting the Vaporesso OMNI chip and lightning fast firing speed, the switcher is a high-end device for a low-end price.
Every aspect of Vaporesso from customer service to product quality is world class. Anyone considering a new box mod should look at Vaporesso.
Vaporesso Switcher 220W TC Starter Kit Video Review
- Mod size: 90mm x 47mm x 32mm
- Output Wattage: 1-218W
- Material: Zinc Alloy/Leather
- Voltage: 6.4-8.4V
- Cattery: dual 18650 batteries(not included)
- Screen: 1.3-inch colorful screen
- Temperature Range: 200℉–600℉/100℃–315℃
- Resistance: 0.1-5ohm for VW mode, 0.05-2.0ohm for TC (Ni/Ti/SS/TCR/TC curve)
- Thread: 510 thread
Smoant is well known to most vapers that have been around for a while. Oddly, not a great deal of vapers have owned a Smoant device or used one. Smoant made their fame with devices like the Battlestar Mod and the Charon TC.
Since the inception of their devices, Smoant has proven true to be a high-quality provider of exceptional hardware. All devices are powered by their ANT218 chip which is developed by Smoant. The ANT218 can perform as well as any DNA in regards to efficiency, accuracy and reliability.
Smoant Cylon Video Review
3.Lost Vape Paranormal DNA 166
- Dimensions: 91.5mm by 55mm by 27.5mm
- Evolv DNA250 Board
- Powered By Two High Amp 18650 Batteries (Sold Separately)
- Series Battery Configuration
- Die Cast Zinc Alloy Construction
- Gunmetal / Stainless Steel Finish
- Vacuum Vapor Plating Finish
- Artificial Turtle Shell Ring
- Durable Solid Stainless Steel 510 Connector
- Secured Via 3 Torx Screws
- Spring Loaded Nickel Plated Brass Pin
- Wattage Range: 1W – 166W
- Output Mode: VW / TC-Ni / TC-Ti / TC-SS
- Temperature Range: 100°C – 315°C / 200°F – 600°F
- 97% Working Efficiency
- Foam Cushioned Leather Panel Wraps
- Interchangeable Carbon Fiber & Wood Panel Inlay
- 0.91″ High Definition OLED Display
- Hinge & Lock Bottom Battery Door
- 2A Micro USB Balanced Charging
- Firmware Upgradeable
- Fully Customizable Interface Via EScribe Software
- Protections: Short Circuit, Weak Battery, Temperature, Low/High Resistance, Reverse Polarity
Lost Vape falls into the higher end category due to their usage of DNA chipsets. Since Lost Vape revealed their very first device years ago their popularity continues to rise.
Only two short years ago their fame took a jump with the release of the Triade DNA250 and shortly after the Therion DNA166,
The Paranormal is in some respects very similar to the Therion 166. Some slight design changes were made to the device that most consider an improvement. The battery door location of the Therion was tiresome and not well liked. The paranormal now has a bottom load battery compartment which makes switching simpler.
In respect to high-end devices, the Lost Vape Paranormal falls into the 150-200 dollar price range which is fairly cheap. A number of DNA devices on the market are much more expensive and contain the exact same chips.
Lost Vape wins in design as their devices have striking curves and vibrant colors. The bodies of Lost Vape mods are solid and very well built. This is no doubt that the Lost Vape Paranormal deserves a place in this best vape mods list.
Lost Vape Paranormal DNA 166 Video Review
- Size: 82.5 x 44 x 28mm
- Screen type: 1.45-inch TFT color display
- Battery: 2x 18650 cells (NOT included)
- Output wattage: 1 – 200W
- Mode: Power/TC(Ni, Ti, SS)/TCR (M1, M2, M3)/RTC
- Resistance range: 0.05 – 1.5 ohm (TC/TCR mode)/ 0.1 – 3.5ohm (Power/Bypass mode)
- Temperature Control Range: 100℃-315℃/200℉-600℉
- charging current: 2A
- output current: 30A
- output voltage: 9V
- Thread: 510 thread
Joyetech is a name that has been around the vaping industry for as long as anyone can remember. They are likely one of the older names that have not made a bad name for themselves.
Starting out with pen style vapes in the early days, Joyetech has come a long way. Two years ago Joyetech jumped into the Temperature Control game pretty early. The Joyetech EVIC VT was a huge success and set the pace for Joyetech.
This year Joyetech released the Espion which is a very size friendly device that packs a punch. With an oversized firing button and an advanced screen the Espion is a must have. The hand feel and quality feel to the Espion make it appear to be worth much more than what it actually is.
The Espion deserves it’s spot on this best vape mods list and anyone shopping for a mod should consider this one for their vaping needs.
Joyetech Espion Video Review
5.VOOPOO Drag 157W New Year Edition
- Size: 90 x 54 x 24mm
- Battery: 2 x 18650 batteries (NOT included)
- Working Voltage: 6.4-8.5V
- Working Current:1-40A
- Output Voltage Range:0-7.5V
- Resistance range: 0.05-3.0 (VW); 0.05-1.5 (TC)
- Output Power: 5-157W
- Temperature Range:200-600℉/100-315℃
- Innovative Mode: Super Mode/Power Compensation Mode
- TC Mode: SS316/Ni200/Ti/NC/TCR/CCR
- Thread: 510 thread
The VOOPOO Drag was released a while ago but with the New Year Edition it deserves a spot on this best vape mods list.
The Drag is the sole reason that VOOPOO has made a name for themselves. Nearly every vaper has or knows someone that owns a VOOPOO Drag. Powered by the famous Gene Chip the Drag is a well built and reliable.
The New Year editon features some nice new Resin panels to give the Drag a bold new look. There is not much else to say about this device that has not already been said. It is exceptional in every way and should be highly considered when making a purchase.
VOOPOO Drag 157W New Year Edition Video Review
I am John Pietersma, a 30-year-old husband and father of three children who lives in Nova Scotia, Canada. Having vaped and built coils for four years, I am very passionate about vaping and writing product reviews for everyone to read.