Vandy Vape Pulse BF 80W Introduction
It holds up to 25mm atomizers with no overhang:
It’s quite light (285gr), made entirely of polyethylene/PE plastic.
It is equipped with interchangeable side-panels of various resin-dyed colours/soft touching texture (you can buy spare ones).
It’s not big (82mmX56mmX27mm) for a 20700 battery regulated squonk mod.
It’s firmware upgradeable (the second firmware version is the one to go for as soon as possible).
It’s suitable for left/right-handed vapers, due to its size, along with the placement of the fire button and the design of the front panel’s “window”.
Vandy Vape Pulse BF 80W Packaging List
- Vandy Vape Pulse BF 80W box mod
- 7 mL silicone squonk bottle
- QC USB cable
- Instructional manual
- 18650 battery adapter
Vandy Vape Pulse BF 80W Features
It hosts a bright 0.91inch B+W OLED screen.
Vandy Vape Pulse BF 80W is equipped with Power, Voltage, Ni200/Ti/SS (temperature control) and Bypass modes of operation.
By “mounting-up” an atomizer, the mod asks for “new/old coil” to select with +/- buttons. When in power mode, by selecting “new coil”, an Auto-Wattage setting is activated, useful for inexperienced vapers. Examples of Auto-Wattage range settings: 0.45Ω/40W, 0.60Ω/32W, 0.90Ω/30W, 0.95Ω/25W, 1.2Ω/15W, 1.5Ω/10W, 1.8Ω/8W).
It has 5 user-defined/stored power and temperature control modes, with user-defined power and temperature curve-sets: CCW (Custom Curve Wattage), CCT (Custom Curve Temperature). They are very useful for adjusting the mod to operate to your own personal preferences during your puff’s duration (up to 10sec).
There is also a stealth mode (screen-off saves battery), activated/deactivated by pressing all three buttons simultaneously (in Stealth mode, +/- buttons are inactive).
Panels fit exactly on the body/frame. There is no rattle at all, actually due to the panels’ circumference design with three small protruding edges that fit in to corresponding notches of the mod’s body/frame.
On the bottom side of the back panel, there is a fingernail notch for dragging the back panel out and pushing the battery out of the mod (having removed the front panel first).
An 18650 battery is used with the silicone adaptor, in which the battery’s negative pole must be inserted, to let battery’s positive pole ventilate (just in case…).
The micro-usb is used for firmware upgrading and battery charging (with 1A) inside. The mod supports pass-through operation (vaping while charging).
It presents a rapid firing. It can fire down to as low as 0.05Ω (on both power and temperature control modes). Wattage changes in 1W increments.
Flip screen: press both fire and – buttons simultaneously.
Its 510-pole connector is not spring-loaded, but comprises a leaking-proof design (with three orings).
Protections: reverse battery, low-battery warning, vaping overtime, overheating, overcurrent, short/open-circuit, overcharge/over-discharge protection.
There is an 8ml liquid-capacity soft silicone bottle with an easy-grip, over-spilling-proof design of its cap and its plastic tube. This was one of the three initial reasons for me to buy the mod (the others were its light-weight and its relatively small size for a 20700 battery mod). For refilling the empty silicone bottle, just pinch it off from the mod. There are colourful options of bottles available to pair them with the colours on the panels. Bottles can be used in many other squonk mods.
Vandy Vape Pulse BF 80W Operation Modes
The mod’s initial 0.0.5 firmware provides only substantial functions/adjustments. Thus, I will refer to the mod’s operation with its upgraded 0.0.6 firmware, which is the one that helps the mod stand out from the pile, as far as the offered operation modes, versatility and adjustments, covering many users’ preferences.
Turns ON/OFF: 5 fire-button’s clicks.
Lock/unlock +/- buttons only (fire button is still active for vaping): press both fire and + buttons simultaneously.
Engage change between modes (Power/Bypass/Voltage/SS/Ni/Ti): With 3 fire-button’s clicks. Then, select mode with +/- buttons and accept with fire-button. Once inside TC mode (SS/Ni/Ti), change temperature with +/- buttons and enable wattage adjustment with 4 fire-button’s clicks. Then, adjust wattage with +/- buttons and accept/lock by pressing fire-button.
With long-pressing both +/- buttons simultaneously, enters to the secondary menu with the following functions to choose (by pressing + button).
Secondary Menu’s Functions:
- DIY modes: Selecting (with the + button) the “DIY” option, when in P (power) mode, 5 different CCW (Custom-Curve Wattage) modes are available to be stored, selected with +/- buttons. Select one and then, 4 fire-button clicks reveal the custom-wattage screen to adjust the wattage of each second of your puff (up to 10sec) with +/- buttons. Accepting each adjusted value with the press of the fire-button, moves also to the next second’s wattage adjustment. Exit/accept adjustments with long pressing fire-button. When in SS/Ti/Ni (TC) modes, follow the same procedure for the 5 available CCT (Custom-Curve Temperature) modes, to adjust the temperature of each second of the puff (up to 10sec). If you wish to leave the DIY modes and go back to the primary menu’s settings, just go back (with – button) to the initial function of the secondary menu (that with the symbol of a “u-turn arrow”) and press the fire button.
- “N-H” modes: In Power Mode there is a selection of “N” (Normal) and “H” (Hard) preset power settings, the latter denoting an over-powered adjustment of the power chosen on the primary menu/screen. Accept “H” (Hard) mode with a fire-button press. Then, 4 clicks of the fire button allows settings’ change, not only of the percentage of how “harder” it will fire (up to 150% of the selected wattage indication on the screen), but also for how long it will operated as over-powered (up to 10s). Exit by long-pressing fire button.
- Ω set: Appears in the secondary menu, when TC mode has been selected on the primary menu/screen. It is for manually changing the resistance value of your coil, as sensed by the mod. It substantially alters the actual current driven to your coil.
- TCR: Also appears on the secondary menu, when TC mod has been selected on the primary menu. It is for adjusting the TCR value of the type of the wire (used in your coil) that you have already selected on the TC mode of the primary menu.
- ID: chip’s ID check.
- VER: firmware’s version check.
- Plug-in Switch Function (denoted by the symbol of crossed wrench/screwdriver): Provides choice of removing the appearance of several operation modes from the main menu (for easier access of the usually used ones, to make simpler the mod’s every-day use). It also provides Sleep Time (ST) adjustment. In P mode, just long press both +/- keys to enter the secondary menu. Then, move with the + button to the last “plug-in” function (that with the crossed wrench/screwdriver) and select it with the fire button to enter the on/off availability selection from the main screen. The functions that can be selected/deselected are: TC (Temperature-Control), BP (ByPass), V (Voltage), H (H/Boost), NLS (No-Lift-Shift). Procedure: First, move down the functions with each click of the fire button. Then, to turn-off each function’s availability on the main screen, press the – button once to deselect each denoted mode that flickers (hollow bar appeared underneath it), or press + button to select it back again (solid bar appeared underneath it). Accept and exit to main screen by long-pressing the fire button.
- No-Lift-Shift (NLS): no need to unscrew the atomizer to check your coil’s resistance or activate the mod’s Auto-Wattage setting. In P (power) mode, just press twice both +/- buttons simultaneously and select “old coil” (by pressing the – button) to maintain the previous power adjustment or select “new coil” (by pressing the + button) to activate the Auto-Wattage setting.
- Sleep Time (ST) function: The mod stays active for adjustable (2-50min) time (set fixed to 10sec on the initial firmware), for battery saving. Then, turns to idle. Once in the secondary menu, with the + button move down to the last available function option (that of the crossed wrench/screwdriver). Then, with several clicks of the fire button, move down to the last available “ST” option and with +/- buttons adjust the Sleep Time. Accept with long-pressing fire button. After Sleep-Time activation (when mod is left unused for more time than the selected “ST” one), the mod always fires-up the first time with a noticeable slow power “ramp-up” (the response time is sluggish), not appreciated by all vapers.
- To exit from the secondary menu every time, long-press the fire-button and the mod returns back to the primary menu (main screen). To completely return back to the modes available on the initial main screen (primary menu), while on the secondary menu’s screen, use the – button to return to the secondary’s menu first available function option of the “u-turn arrow” and press of fire button.
Vandy Vape Pulse BF 80W Final Thoughts
It’s a rapid-firing regulated squonk box mod with lots of modes/functions available, which are easily accessible, too. It even provides a Voltage mode. Its silicone squonk bottle is quite easy to refill due to its unique easy-grip cap that is over-spilling-proof. Its 510-pole connector is also leakage-proof. It is also reasonably priced for what it offers.
Firmware’s Upgrading Procedure on Windows:
Both firmware versions (initial/005 and new/006) are on the VandyVape’s website (for Windows/Mac) to download (useful, in case you might wish to install again the initial version).
Create a desktop folder and download in the 006 firmware from the Support page of the Vandy Vape’s site. Decompress the 006 file in the folder. From the yielded three files, the “.png” has the installation instructions. Then, run the”. exe” file, which installs the software. Now, remove your atomizer and battery from the mod and connect it to the computer. After it is identified by Windows, select the software’s “refresh” button for the software to recognize the mod. Then, select “connect”. Now, in the software’s box below, select the three horizontal dots and find in your desktop’s folder the file “. VCdata”. Select “start updating” and when the process is finished, disconnect the mod first from Windows.
Check the mod’s upgraded firmware: press +/– buttons together to enter the secondary menu and move on to “VER” option (by pressing the + button). Now, press the fire button to check “006”. Then long-pressing the fire-button goes back to the main screen.
I am not in the vaping business. I found vaping as the escape door from my 25 years of smoker’s imprisonment. It just took me four days of attempting to totally get out of it, thanks to the appropriate –for me- “equipment” (includes e-liquids). Now, vaping “equipment” has become another one of my fields of interest, for helping others to discover, on their own, their personally appropriate “equipment”.
I am a hands-on enthusiast… by genes. I am triggered by everything that evokes any data already stored in my knowledge base, been a Physicist and an Electronics Engineer (for more than 35 years). I am intrigued by everything new that my knowledge-filter considers interesting enough to be analyzed for entering into my memory compartment. That’s why you will find me open-minded and out-of-the-box thinking. I have an urge for unfolding hidden “pictures” of design thinking on everything man-made.